Back to Home
Kitchen Fairies Shop
This recipe is for an 8 x 11 x 2.5" casserole and makes 4-6 servings.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for the roux)
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for sautéing)
- 8 oz. (227 g) 2% low-fat sharp cheddar, shredded
- 3 cups (720 cc) 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups (480 cc) dry macaroni
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of nutmeg powder (optional)
- 1/3 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease the casserole dish with salad oil.
- Boil 2 cups of dried macaroni until "al dente" (cooked but still firm), drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and sauté the chopped onions until they become transparent.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp. of butter and 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil over low heat.
Add 4 tbsp. all purpose flour and 1 tsp. salt. Cook and stir over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until
the sauce becomes bubbly and runny.
- Remove from heat. When the skillet has cooled down, add 3 cups of milk. Whisk until the flour and milk
is well mixed. Return to the heat. Cook and stir continuously over medium heat for about 13-18 minutes,
until the sauce just starts to boil. The sauce should be thickened at this point.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it is completely melted. Stir in cooked onions,
a dash of nutmeg power and 1/3 teaspoon yellow mustard. Add the boiled macaroni and stir.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the greased casserole. Sprinkle bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 30 minutes or until top is nicely browned.
Copyright © 2008 Anyrecipe.net