Ingredients for 3 ~ 4
- 1 lb. (450 grams) chicken breast or chicken
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. sesame oil (Asian)
- 2 tsp. rice wine(sake) or sherry
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 1 lemon (sliced thin)
- 1 yellow onion
- vegetable oil to fry chicken
- 1/4 tsp. chicken bouillon in powder or granules
- 1/4 head of lettuce
Sweet and Sour Sauce (This is more than enough for this recipe, but you
can keep the left-over sauce in a glass jar in a refrigerator for months.
This sauce is good for pot stickers or spring rolls.
If you want to make more, use this
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 3 tbsp. pineapple juice or orange juice
- 3 tsp. vinegar (white)
- 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- If you have chicken breast, (Skip 1. if you have chicken tender),
separate chicken pieces into two halves and open them . This levels
out the thickness so they will cook evenly.
- Marinate chicken 30 minutes with:
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. rice wine(sake) or sherry
2 tsp. corn starch
- Wash 1/4 head of lettuce and cut it thinly and spread
out on the serving plate.
- Slice a yellow onion.
- Slice a lemon thinly.
- Bring to boil:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup catsup
3 tbsp. pineapple juice or orange juice
3 tsp. vinegar (white)
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- Add to thicken 1 tbsp. cornstarch mixed in 1 tbsp. cold water.
- Break an egg over the marinating chicken and mix
well. Dip chicken pieces in cornstarch and shallow fry.
- Heat a wok over a high heat. Put 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add sliced yellow
onion and stir fry quickly at high heat to let it slightly
burn. Add 1/4 tsp. chicken bouillon in powder and reduce
heat to cook thoroughly. ( Don't over cook till juice comes out of onion
and becomes soggy) In the last 15 seconds of stir-fry, add lemon
- Pour the onion and fried chicken over the lettuce and pour sweet and
sour sauce as needed.