- red beans 1+1/2 cups (300 grams)
- sugar 1+1/2 cups (300 grams)
- salt 1/2 teaspoon
Rinse the beans in a colander. Place them in a large bowl with a plenty
of water to cover the beans. Let them soak for 3 to 8 hours.
- Drain and place the beans in a deep pot with a plenty of water
to cover the beans. Bring it to a boil. You will see a lot of foams
forming on the surface. Put the beans in a colander and rinse them
well with running water to remove foams. Clean the pot and fill
with fresh water, place the beans back in a pot and bring it to
- Repeat step (1). This time after rinsing the beans,
add 1300cc water( 5 + 2/3 cups) and bring it to a boil again. Reduce
the heat to low and simmer, covered for about 2 hours, stirring
occasionally, or until the beans become so tender that you can
break it with your tongue. (Be careful not to burn your tongue.)
Add a little water as necessary. Stir more frequently toward the
- When the beans are completely soft
add 1+1/2 cups (300 grams) sugar and 1/2
teaspoon salt. Simmer at low without a lid, stirring very
frequently until the mixture becomes somewhat thick.
- If you can see the bottom of the pot when you scrape with a wooden
spatula, it is ready to remove from heat. Paste will become harder
as it cools. Keep it in the refrigerator overnight.