Tomato and Split Pea Curry
This vegetarian curry is not spicy.
This recipe serves 6.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) yellow split peas
- 2 14-oz. (400 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 quart (960 cc) vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups (480 cc) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- salt to taste
- Heat salad oil in a 6 qt pot and sauté onion and celery over medium-low heat until they are very soft and
- Add the remaining ingredients except the garam masala, sugar and salt. Bring it to a boil and skim off
the foam. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour with a lid. Skim the foam and stir once a while.
Optional: In the last 10 minutes of simmering, stir in garama masala.
- When the peas are very soft, add sugar and salt to your taste. Serve over steamed white rice.