This recipe is for a 10-inch tube pan.
Have all ingredients about 70°F (21°C).
Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Sift twice:
- 2 1/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Beat in a large bowl until pale:
- 5 egg yolks
- Gradually add and beat:
- Fold in and beat:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add the dry ingredients all at
once and beat until smooth:
- In a separate bowl, beat until
foamy but not dry:
- Fold the egg whites into the
flour mixture with spatula, not with an electric beater. Fold in
gently until the color is uniform.
- Pour it into an ungreased tube
pan. Smooth the top and bake at 325°F (165°C) for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Reverse the cake pan to cool the cake.
- Wait until cooled to take it out
of the pan.