Back to Home
Kitchen Fairies Shop
Tips from "Joy of Cooking"
- A 9-inch fruit or berry pie needs about 4 cups of fresh fruit or 3
cups of cooked fruit.
- Each type of fruit requires its own quota of sweetening. For example, 4 cups
of gooseberries need about 1 3/4 cups of sugar, while blueberries may
need no more than 1/2 cup plus lemon juice to heighten the flavor.
- Acidic fruits should be thickened with tapioca starch, cornstarch or arrowroot
starch because the acidity of the fruit may neutralize the thickening
power of the flour.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with
shortening-free or vegan pie dough.
- Prepare by picking over and hulling:
- 2/3 to 1 cup or more sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon
- If the fruit is very juicy and ripe, add:
- 2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the berries and stir gently until
well blended. Let stand for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Turn the fruit into the pie shell. Dot with:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Cover the pie with a well-pricked top or with a lattice. Bake the
pie at 450°F (230°C) for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F (175°C) and
bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.