This recipe is for 1 lb. of ground beef (about 3 to 4 hamburger patties).
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tsp. onion granules
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
Topping ingredients (optional):
- Cheese slices (American, cheddar, Jack or Swiss)
- Sliced red onion
- Washed lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Mix ground beef, onion granules, garlic powder, allspice, salt and some black pepper until well-blended.
Divide and shape into 4 patties.
- Over medium heat, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan and sauté sliced onions until
slightly transparent and browned.
- Preheat a large iron skillet over high heat. When the skillet just starts to smoke, add a tablespoon
of vegetable oil and add the patties. Sprinkle a little additional salt to taste. After the patties
are browned on one side, reduce the heat to medium and cook for a few minutes.
- Flip the patties over and increase heat to medium-high. Sprinkle a little additional salt. After the
second side becomes browned, reduce heat to medium again. Add slices of cheese to each patty and cook
until the internal temperature is 160°F/71°C. Remove patties from skillet.
- Toast hamburger buns and assemble. Place patty on bottom bun, top with lettuce, tomato, and grilled
onions. Spread mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard on the top bun and serve.