Ingredients for 2 to 3 people:
- 1 lb. beef (flank steak, sirloin or ground beef)
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1/3 bag of tortilla chips
- 1/2 avocado (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup tomato salsa
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese
- 4 to 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Tear up and wash the lettuce. Shred the cheddar cheese.
- If you are making the taco salad with flank steak or sirloin,
cut the beef into small pieces or strips. Mince the garlic.
- Heat up an iron skillet over high heat. When the skillet begins to
smoke, it is hot enough to start cooking the beef.
Spread a tablespoon of oil on the skillet and add the beef, minced
garlic, salt, paprika, cumin and coriander powder. Allow the beef
to brown for 45 seconds to 1 minute before stirring. Remove from
heat once the beef is cooked.
- In large salad bowls, layer the taco salad ingredients in the
following order: lettuce, crumpled tortilla chips, beef, cheddar
cheese, avocado, tomato salsa and sour cream.
Preheating the skillet in this manner is essential for two purposes:
it prevents the meat from sticking to the skillet and it browns the
beef nicely, which adds flavor to the meat. Please visit the
cooking tips page for more details about
cooking on an iron skillet.