Ingredients (Available at Indian grocery stores in the U.S.)
If you cannot get all the ingredients, it is OK as long as you have the
first 6 spice on the list.
- 30 green cardamom pods
- 15 cloves (laung)
- 4 pieces cinnamon (dalchini)
- 5 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds (dhaniya)
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 4 pieces mace
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- Place cardamom pods in a spice grinder or coffee mill and pulse lightly.
Sift out husks, removing any stray seeds inside; discard husks.
- Place all spices in a dry frying pan or skillet.
- Heat over a very low heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the aroma
from the spices begins, remove the pan from the heat. This step is to
release the aromatic oils from the spices. Never burn them. Or you can
roast the spices on a cookie-sheet at 300°F (148°C) for about 15 minutes.
- Working with only a small quantity at a time, put the spices in an
electric blender to grind it to a fine powder. Store the Garam Masala
in an air-tight container.