This recipe makes one 9 1/2" pancake that serves 2 people.
Making the optional apple topping:
In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
Stir in brown sugar until combined. Stir in apple slices, cinnamon,
and nutmeg. Cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes or until the liquid
is evaporated and apples are caramelized.
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a dash of nutmeg
Making the pancake:
- Place a 9 1/2" (26 cm) iron skillet or stainless steel saucepan in the oven and
preheat at 450°F (235°C). The skillet should
be very hot when you pour the batter.
- Meanwhile, whisk in a bowl:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (120 cc)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Add and whisk until all the flour is incorporated:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (70 g)
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Place 2 tablespoons butter on the
skillet and let the butter melt and brown. Spread the melted
butter on the bottom and the side of the skillet.
- Pour the batter.
Return the skillet to the hot oven and cook for 2 minutes at 450°F (235°C).
Lower the temperature to 425°F (215°C) and cook 10 minutes
longer. Place the cooked apples and sprinkle powder sugar.