See also: shortening-free and vegan pie crusts
Ingredients for 2 pie crusts
All the ingredients have to be chilled in advance.
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups pre sifted flour
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter (chilled and sliced)
- In a large bowl put flour,salt, shortening and butter.
- Cut shortening into the flour with a pastry blender, until mixture
resembles the texture of tiny split peas.
- Add the chilled milk and combine the milk lightly into the dough with
a fork or knife, allowing the moisture to spread evenly.
- Put the dough on a large sheet of plastic wrap.
- Wrap the dough with a piece of plastic wrap and press it into a ball.
- Open and cut in half. (This recipe is for 2 pie crusts.)
- Now make two balls and wrap them in plastic separately. Refrigerate
at least 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Sprinkle flour lightly over the wrap
, put the dough in the center , put another large sheet of saran wrap
on top of the dough, and roll over the dough. The wrap prevents the
dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
- If the shape is not quite circle, you can trim and add by changing
the position of the plastic wrap. You roll the dough into the shape
of the closed plastic wrap.
- If you don't like the shape, you can easily correct it by opening
the saran wrap and reshape the wrap, cover with the top wrap and press
with a roller. However, keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a perfect circle.
- Roll the dough until it has a diameter that is 1 1/2
inch wider than the pie pan. Peel the top wrap slowly.
- Put the pie pan upside down. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Put your hand under the wrap and pushing up the center of the dough,
flip over the pan.
- If the dough is not quite center, you can move the dough by pulling
the wrap. Slowly peel off the bottom wrap from the dough.
- Fold down the extra dough to make the edge thicker. Shape the edge.
- Cut five or six slits in the bottom of the piecrust dough to prevent
the crust from bubbling up while it is baking.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 15 min.
- The crust is ready for lemon filling to make a lemon pie, or blueberry