Prepare traditional, shortening-free,
or vegan pie dough, enough for two pie crusts that will make up the bottom and top of the pie.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with:
- Pare, core and thinly slice. Sprinkle 1/2 lemon
- 5 to 6 cups apples
- If you are using dry apples, allow 1 pound apples to
1 quart water and cook 35 to 45 minutes before proceeding. Combine
and sift over the apples:
- 1/2 to 2/3
cup white or brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Only very tart apples require the larger amount of
sugar. Only very juicy apples require the larger amount of cornstarch.
Stir the apples gently until they are well coated. Place them in
layers in the pie shell. Dot with:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Should the apples be very dry, add:
- 2 tablespoons water or cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F Cover the pie with a pricked
- Shape the edge. Roll out the remaing dough and cut out
5 leaves and 4 small balls. Decorate the top with these cut-out.
- Bake in a 450°F oven 10 minutes. Reduce
the heat to 350°. Bake until done, 35 to 45 minutes or until golden
brown. For a delicious touch, sprinkle the top crust lightly with
sugar and cinnamon as you put the pie into the oven.
Some cooks brush it first with milk. Others prefer to finish the pie
off, after baking with:
- If adding cheese, Place the briefly under a broiler
to melt the cheese.