Are you looking for
California Rolls recipe?
Prepare rice for sushi ( about 6 rolls)
- 4 cups :California Rose Rice (short grain) Measure with a measuring
cup which comes with a rice coocker(200cc=1 cup)
- 70 cc (1/3 American cup) rice vinegar
- 40 gr. ( 3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. + 1/8 tsp.) granule sugar
- 20 gr. ( 1 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. ) salt
- 10~15 cm ( about 5 inch) Dashi Konbu ( dry see weed
- Wash rice , put it in a rice cooker , add water to the mark , and
let it soak in water for 20min before you turn it on.
- While the rice is being cooked, in a small saucepan, put together
vinegar, salt and salt. Stir and heat at medium until sugar dissolve
but never boil.
- Stop heating and add dry konbu (see weed). Soak it for 30 minutes
and take out the see weed.
- When the rice is done, immediately take it out of the rice cooker
into a very large bowl. While the rice is very hot, sprinkle the vinegar
mixture evenly and fold it into the rice. If the rice is not hot, heat
it in a microwave oven before you add the vinegar.
for sushi rolls.
(about 3 rolls)
- 4 dry mushroom
- 20 gr. kanpyo
- 2 eggs
- 3 sheets nori (Dry seeweed sheet for makizushi)
- boiled spinach (one bundle)
- soy sauce
- Soak mushrooms in the warm water. Add 1 tsp. sugar if you are in a
hurry. Drain when the mushrooms are soft.
- Slice the mushrooms thin. In a small saucepan put 1/3 cup water and
mushrooms and boil for 2 min. Add 2 tbsp. sugar and
2 tbsp. soy sauce and simmer at medium heat until the
liquid is gone. Set it aside.
- Rinse "kanpyou" with the running water and cook it in a
small sauce pan with 2 tbsp. water, 2 tbsp. sugar and 2 tbsp. soy sauce.
Set it aside.
- Mix 2 eggs in a bowl with chopsticks or a fork (not wire). Add 2 tbsp.
sugar and a pinch of salt. Pour the
whole egg mixture into an iron pan and cook it at the lowest
heat with a lid. When it is half done, fold it in half and cook
longer with a lid until done. This iron skillet in the photo is 6 inches
in diameter. If you don't have a small skillet, fold in three.
- Take it out onto the cutting board and slice into long strips. Set
it a side.
- Put one sheet of Nori on "makisu".
- Spread a thin layer of the sushi rice, covering 3/4 sheet. Put "gu"
in the middle as the photo shows.
- Start rolling from the front, lifting up the "makisu" and
push the filling with your finger tips so that they will not fall out.
- Once the edge of the nori touches the rice, roll outside of "makisu".
Don't let the makisu roll into nori. Pull out the end of makisu and
- When rolling is done, open the makisu and move the sushi roll in the
middle and give the final squeeze.
- Slice with a clean and wet knife.
- If you are making "Kappa" (cucumber), cut the sheet of nori
in half. Put much thinner layer of rice. Put the cucumber slice in the
middle and do the same as above.
- Serve with "wasabi".
 "Gu" in Japanese refers to the stuff
that goes in the center of a sushi roll.
 "Kanpyo" are dried shavings from a calabash gourd.
If kanpyo is not available, it is OK to make futomaki sushi without it.