Ingredients for 9x13 inch pan
(for other sizes)
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 10 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely
chopped, or 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts. lightly
toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- Set the oven 350F. Grease 9X13 inch pan and flour lightly.
- In a bowl. combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, caking soda, and
salt. Stir to mix well.
- Add the melted butter and mix until well blended.
- Distribute half of the mixture in the prepared pan and press gently
with your fingertips to form an even layer. Reserve the remaining mixture
for later use.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle the chopped chocolate or chocolate
chips and the toasted nuts evenly over the crust, then drizzle evenly
with the caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle the rest of the flour mixture over the top and press gently
with your fingertips to form an even layer.
- Return to the oven and continue baking until the topping is golden
brown, about 25 minutes longer.
- Remove the pan to a wire rack to cool completely, then cut into 12
~ 16 equal bars.
How to make caramel sauce
- Melt 7 oz.caramel in a microwave. Add 1/3 cup cream and stir well.